Labels

Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Jewel of Inestimable and Unequivocal Value!!!! Forever in our Hearts, Dammie.

      I remember that fateful day in February just like yesterday. It was early in the morning and Babatunde wasn't feeling too well so we decided to come to Sister Biodun's house. You welcomed me with a loving and warm smile and instantly made me feel at ease. You made me macaroni with sauce and kept me company whilst Babatunde was resting. I was so scared for Babatunde but your composure gave me some reassurance that he will be fine and your smile reaffirmed this.


     We were properly meeting each other for the first time and as the "sister-in-law", I was walking on eggshells around you praying really hard that my clumsiness doesn't get the better of me and as such, I didn't really "let loose" to say the least.


Little did I know that will be the last time I'll see you physically otherwise I wouldn't have been that way! I would have thrown my arms around you in a  warm embrace, probably kissed you and asked you to be my best friend as the younger sister of the man I love and hope to spend the rest of my life with. You made me feel like we were friends and we hit it off straight away making small talks about having too many friends and the unnecessary pressure and pain they may bring. As a result of our rapport that day, I occasionally dreamed of days when I come to Nigeria or you come to the UK how we would go shopping together, go to the cinema, talk about life, relationships, and most importantly, how you could tell me more about your brother. However, those dreams were not to be made manifest as on the 7th of June, 2012, the cold hands of death stole those dreams away from me and left a gaping hole in the hearts of the Bankoles.


      Oh! how I wept and fervently I prayed that God will return you to us! How I wished it was just a bad dream or a very expensive joke but God Himself who giveth, decided you were too good for this sinful world and it was about time you returned home to Him.


    Three days later, Daddy, Mummy and your siblings are working so hard to come to terms with the loss of their baby sister whilst I, on the other hand, is struggling and is still bawling my eyes out like I knew you for more than an half-a-day and I cant help but wonder why this has happened to that beautiful family. So many unanswered questions run through my mind, so many "what-ifs" flood my thoughts. Your death has affected me in more ways than one; I keep wondering why I feel so affected by the death of someone I met only recently and I concluded that the possible reasons are these:


1- You were the same age as me and you had your whole life ahead of you
2- The Bankoles have become more than just family and naturally, when they hurt, I hurt but
3- Most importantly, I think your death makes me question the way I've been living my life and if I truly love and serve the Lord as I have verbally declared.


    What keeps resonating in my head is- if Jesus called for me today, am I guaranteed Heaven? because one thing I know for sure is that you were a strong Christian and it was visible for all who came in contact with you to see your love and passion for Christ. I wondered how a young woman could love God and follow His precepts so boldly and without doubt or fear and I was envious. I can imagine that at that last minute when life was leaving you that you weren't scared because you know where you are going.


      I remember the book you wanted to give me on preparing for marriage like you fully approved of me and your sweet and breezy voice is fondly remembered from the few times we spoke over the phone.


    Oluwadamilola, you fought the good fight and you overcame the world. Many may think that in your short and beautiful life you had no impact but I know that if you touched no one else, you touched me in a powerful way and the way you lived your life is worth emulating. You are a role model to me in that regards and I cannot wait to tell your nieces and nephews about the wonderful person that you were. Your beautiful smile will forever be missed my darling sister and friend and when I remember you, I'll thank God for the wonderful angel He sent my way to keep me firmly grounded on the path of righteousness and to remind me that my life is not my own.


   Continue to rest in the bosom of the Lord until that glorious day when we shall meet to part no more!!!


   Adieu, Oluwadamilola Bankole, my angel, my sister, and friend!!!!


-Daddy's heart is broken but he is trying to be strong for you
-Mummy's misses you and loves you dearly. You should see how hard she's working on focusing on the good memories.
-Sister Eniola grieves for you
-Mr B is trying to be strong for the family
-You can't begin to imagine how Sister Biodun might feel right now
-My Babatunde is being a man but he terribly misses and loves you
-Temi, Nimi and Bayo will never forget their beautiful aunt, and
 I, Oluwabunmi can only wish that if you are out there somewhere that you return to us but if all of these is real, I thank God for that wonderful day in Lagos because it is one of the moments that will forever shape my life.


  Odaaro, Odigba, O d'oju ala!!!


  Sun re o olufe!!!

No comments: